News & insights
Date: October 2019 | Sector: Global health | Expertise: Health economics & evaluation
Senior global health consultant sought
Our team contributes to the effectiveness and sustainability of development aid in the global health sector. We combine public policy, health economics, global health and evaluation expertise towards improving the quality and use of evidence for strategic, policy and programmatic planning and implementation. We conduct short, medium and long- term assignments, with clients including global health partnerships, multi-lateral and bi-lateral agencies, donors and foundations, governments and international NGOs.
Over the last 15 years, we have gained a wealth of knowledge and expertise across a number of health areas which we apply at both global and country levels. These include:
- communicable & non-communicable diseases;
- health & community systems strengthening;
- nutrition; and
- sexual, reproductive, maternal, newborn, child & adolescent health.
We also work in a number of cross-cutting areas such as health policy and governance, health financing, health data and information systems, market dynamics, supply & access, as well as universal health coverage.
Together, our breadth of experience has given us the knowledge and skills to conduct complex evaluations and strategic reviews, and to provide high level technical advisory support. As applied economists, our main strength is bringing together diverse sources of evidence and analysis to develop relevant and nuanced conclusions and recommendations on complex issues.
This is a senior role, to lead and/ or manage our consultancy projects across a broad range of global health subject areas; new business development through tender submissions and other opportunities, client engagement and marketing; as well as internal practice work planning and development. The position would entail, at times, international travel to visit clients or as required by projects.
The position could be either full or part time.
Key roles and responsibilities include:
- Lead and/ or manage the design and delivery of a range of global health projects, including playing a senior role in methodology development, data collection and analysis, client engagement, and the development of deliverables.
- Lead new business development, including through preparation of tender responses and other engagement or marketing efforts.
- Manage teams of in-house staff as well as external associates for project delivery, emphasising quality assurance, as well as the coaching and supervision of junior and mid-level team members.
- Support/ lead engagement and consultations with clients and key actors in the international health architecture (in-person and remote).
- Undertake/ lead country visits and assessments in low/ middle income countries (particularly Sub Saharan Africa and Asia) according to project needs.
- Contribute to Global Health practice strategy and business planning, and tracking and review of practice performance against targets.
Qualifications and experience required
Candidates should have:
- A postgraduate degree in global health or public health, alongside a solid understanding of economics concepts as relating to global health, OR
- A postgraduate degree in economics, international development or similar, alongside solid experience in the application of global health expertise.
- Significant experience of working in the global health space, including the design and delivery of projects, evaluations/ reviews, strategy/ policy development, technical advisory work and/ or operational research.
- Substantive experience working in numerous health sub-sectors e.g. RMNCH, communicable diseases, non-communicable diseases, immunisation, health systems, etc. Ideally the candidate will have an international reputation in at least one health sub-sector.
- Experience in advising and collaborating with donor organisations, global health partnerships, international consultancies and/ or governments in strategy and programme development, evaluations, research and analysis on topical health issues.
- A good understanding of the international health architecture and ongoing policies and priorities, as well as knowledge and experience of key health issues facing low and middle income countries, including preferably multi-country knowledge and/ or experience.
- Strong quantitative (e.g. modelling) and qualitative (e.g. desk review, in-depth stakeholder consultations) analytical skills.
- People management skills, including ability to manage, motivate and develop small teams of professionals.
- Demonstrated capacity to generate new business opportunities to support global health projects across a range of subject areas.
- An interest in public policy and international development and a commitment to generating high quality evidence to inform strategic and policy decisions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and experience of using Microsoft packages including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Candidates must have the ongoing legal right to work in the UK. Please provide details of your eligibility to work in the UK in your application. If you do not possess this right, we will not be able to proceed with the application.
CEPA offers a highly competitive remuneration package for its staff. Beyond this, staff benefits also include:
- health, life and travel insurance;
- a 5% employer pension contribution;
- 25 days paid holiday per year excluding UK bank holidays; and
- a corporate cycle scheme.
Applicants should submit a full CV and cover letter to the recruitment team by email (email@example.com).
The initial closing date for applications is 28 November 2019 (although we do have some flexibility with this date in order to find the right candidate).
Please note that due to the volume of applications received, we are only able to respond to candidates shortlisted for consideration. Candidates who have not received a response to their application within 20 working days should assume that it has not been successful.
To find out more, please contact our experts listed below.